1lb slab bacon
1qt veal stock
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- start an appropriately sized pan on medium high heat. make sure it is large enough both to fit the bacon and allow the bacon to be covered with the stock.
- when the pan begins to get warm lay the bacon in so the fattiest side is down. the fat will begin to render and as the pan heats it will start to caramelize.
- when the fat side has browned nicely, flip the pork belly and caramelize the other side
- when both sides are browned, add the veal stock, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla.
- let this simmer uncovered on low heat checking frequently after an hour or so. if the liquid reduces too much add a little water and cover.
- the pork will tighten up and then become very tender. before it starts falling apart remove from pan and chill overnight.
- save the glaze, it might be the best part!
- slice it thin and use it on EVERYTHING! or take the chefs route and warm up a big slab of pork belly and serve over lentils.